Oceans of Sounds: the Virgin Ambient Series (1993-1997)


This summer, I'm publishing a series on the Virgin Records Ambient Series: a sub-label of Virgin Records which released 24 CDs between 1993 and 1997. Of those 24 CDs, 15 were compilations. The compilations followed the same format: someone (Kevin Martin and David Toop are the most frequently thought of with regard to this series) compiles and mixes two CDs worth of tracks based around a genre or, as with the case of Toop's Ocean of Sound CDs, a more abstract concept. There have been some good blog posts through the years that have looked at this stuff (I'll make reference to some of them once I get into writing these) but none of them went long into the specific sub-series within the Virgin Ambient imprint. Here's how I imagine these posts breaking down: 

Week 1: A Brief History of Ambient Vols. 1-4

Week 2: Macro Dub Infection Vols. 1&2

Week 3: Ocean of Sound Vols. 1-4

Week 4: Jazz Satellites Vol. 1 and the planned but never released Vol. 2

Week 5: Monsters, Robots and Bugmen; Techno Animal: Re-Entry

I'm going to go deep on these and will spend a bit of time doing research, so I don't plan on publishing one of these a week but do plan on finishing the series before the end of summer. As always, thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Tiger Mountain, And Other Things By Eno, By Strategy

Blog Tracks Vols. 1 & 2